Temporary Workers

Apply for Temporary Foreign WorkersVisa

Every year Canada welcomes thousands of temporary foreign workers to fill the labour shortages that may be left in the market due to various reasons. These factors could include such things such as climate changes, labour shifts to different geographical locations or simply because the economy now demands different products resulting in labour vacancies. These gaps in the labour market are then filled by foreign nationals that come to Canada for a limited period of time to fulfill the needs of the market. This can be your opportunity to be employed in the Canadian labour force and it may provide you with the exposure you need to potentially becoming a contributing member of the Canadian economy.

Depending on the industry or occupation that you plan to enter, you may not even need a work permit to start working in that field in Canada. Our immigration consultant in Toronto can let you know if you qualify as a person who does not need a work permit for your particular occupation.

For the majority of occupations that do require a work permit, there are certain requirements you must meet to qualify for this permit. Below is a list of criteria that you must meet in order to qualify to work in Canada.


  • Your employer may be required to get a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC).
  • An LMO confirms that there is no permanent resident of Canada that can fill the vacant position and a foreign worker may fill it.
  • An LMO is not required for all occupations and our consultants can advise you if you require an LMO for your particular position.
  • You must meet the general requirements of entering, staying and working in Canada. As a result you may be required to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).
  • Your spouse or common law partner and your dependent children may apply to come to Canada with you.

The above requirements are a general guideline as to how you may qualify to temporarily work in Canada and they are not an exhaustive list. Depending on your unique situation the requirements can vary, however our consultants will provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision so that we can help you start working in Canada as soon as possible.

Please keep in mind that a work permit is not an official immigration document and it does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. To live in Canada permanently you need to qualify under an immigration category. An exception to this rule applies for Live in Caregivers who meet certain requirements and may be eligible to live in Canada permanently.

Our experienced consultants can assess your personal situation and determine if you qualify to apply for a work permit in Canada. We also have the expertise to help you obtain your LMO so that you are eligible to work in the position that you are qualified for.

Free Online Evaluation
D. Lee

D. LEE | York University

“Thanks to the diligent work done by CIS, I got my Student Visa well before I started school. I was able to focus on my education and not have to worry about the entire immigration process. Now, I am on my way to getting the education that I always wanted, as well as building the path to my dream job.”